Monday, August 08, 2011

Crossing the T's

What's up, food fans? After not touching this blog for... Yeesh, five months?!? Ouch. Anyway, it may well be that after such a time, there's nobody here but us chickens, but just in case, I wanted to check in. I certainly haven't been ignoring the Top Chef realm. The viewing party watched the latest iteration of Masters, and we were all bored silly by it, though it was fun to watch Tiffany and LabRat compete to see who could make more fun of the unibrow guy.

Fortunately, it looks like another season of Just Desserts is on the horizon, premiering on August 24th at 9PM (10PM Eastern). The Serious Life Business I brought up before is ongoing, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to handle full recaps, but I'll definitely be watching, and can hopefully at least be able to put something up for each episode. Let's hope it's a fun season, with a big cutback in the amount of contestants with full-blown mental illness!

I've been feeling a little guilty for running out of steam towards the end of the last dessert season, and have decided that since I never deleted the last two episodes from my iTunes library, I should spend the days leading up to the premiere going back and converting the blurbs to full recaps. Incomplete series bug me.

The penultimate episode is finished! Just click on the Just Desserts link in the "Previously On..." menu to your right! I'm turning my attention to the finale now, and when it's done, we'll be able to face the future together.

If you have any thoughts/suggestions on this, the cast for the upcoming season, or anything else, please leave a comment. I'd be thrilled to see if anyone still visits this dusty corner of the internet.

UPDATE: Finale complete!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad your back. Even though I've never commented before, I always enjoy your recaps. Looking forward to your recap of the finale and the upcoming season. Any chance you will be finishing off Top Chef All Stars?

Limecrete said...

Thanks for breaking your silence! All-Stars is a bit trickier, because I have the dessert episodes already sitting around, but I'd need to track some of the All-Star episodes down. I'll see what I can find.

Tina said...

Bad Serious Life Business! No interfering with leisure time!

Ahh, well, I understand if you don't have time for the full recaps, but I will look forward to any comments you have. :)

As to my longish pre-season comments:

I'm disappointed they kept the Valley Girl on the judging panel, but on the plus side, there's also still Hubert Keller. And maybe we'll get lucky and Johnny will feel less like he has to be The Ptom and loosen up a bit.

I skimmed through the bios, and noticed a few things: a) lots of chocoholics this season again, b) as usual, many chefs don't know what "simple" means, and c) Craig needs to learn how to dress himself, and d) either Bravo screwed up, or there's two people with the last name Camacho, which isn't one I'd think of as all that common.

Since I was bored, I also watched the video bios. Let me tell you, Sally Camacho's voice does not go with the way she looks at ALL. And the other Camacho, Melissa, worked with Angelo, if you didn't catch that. For the most part, no one really stood out as particularly weird or bitchy or all that self-involved... except maybe Matthew Peterson, who may think a little overly highly of himself. Although I detected some not-so-stealth bitchery in the season preview, too, from a few other people.

Oh, oh, and Johnny mentioned in the preview that the chefs are allowed to have recipes this season. I guess they wanted to make it so that things didn't hinge on if a chef forgot it's 2 tsp and not 2 tbsp baking soda. Which is good, I think a basic recipe list is perfectly reasonable.

Hopefully this season's drama:cooking ratio will be one I can stand. :)

Limecrete said...

Huh. I didn't know about the recipe thing; that's interesting. Maybe they thought they could give the chefs tougher challenges as long as they had some basic recipes sitting around. It may be a bit coddling, but I'm all for it if they use it as an excuse to really put these people through the challenge wringer.