Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Mark of the Beast

Top Chef: Just Desserts - Season 2, Episode 6

I've mentioned already that I'm enjoying the relatively low levels of drama this season, and I stand by that opinion. That said, does anyone have any idea why Sally hates Katzie so much? Did Katzie do a really offensive Asian stereotype voice off-camera? Did she steal Sally's toothpaste? Seriously, every episode seems to feature a segment about how Katzie really grinds Sally's gears, and we have zero indication of why that might be. Odd.

In tonight's Quickfire, the chefs yank out a root vegetable buried in some dirt, and must make a dessert featuring that item for Gail and guest judge Jordan Kahn. Naturally, some items are more difficult than others. Chris, ever the overachiever, makes sure to serve his root veggie garnish at just the right time to make it taste the best. Unfortunately, that time is after the buzzer, and he's disqualified. Rebecca and Carlos sink to the bottom two, while Matthew and Sally rise to the top. Sally, who's really getting the hang of this whole Quickfire thing, scores her second consecutive win, along with immunity and $5,000. Not bad for an hour's work.

Finally, we get an Elimination Challenge that doesn't split the chefs into teams. Unfortunately, now that the chefs can shine on their own, they're given one of those wacky-ass challenges in which it's well-nigh impossible to determine the good chefs from the bad, because the challenge restrictions are so off-kilter that it basically boils down to luck. Aging Beastie Boy Adam Horovitz assumes the mantle of guest judge, and presents the chefs with an array of weird ingredients mentioned in Beastie Boys' songs. Each chef has to choose two of the off-putting foods to incorporate into their dessert, and in an additional twist, are assigned a third by one of their fellow chefs.

The foods are presented at an art show, where thankfully, the guests are fully prepared and in the mood for weird cuisine. Marcel is in attendance for whatever reason, but I see no reason to give him any more attention. All of the desserts sound pretty nasty, what with the pesto, falafel, matzo meal, and other non-dessert ingredients. Sally is the exception, managing to make a toffee and chicken skin dessert that I actively want to try. She scores a position in the Winners' Circle, along with Chris and Matt, who wins for incorporating mashed potatoes and gravy into his dessert. Down at the bottom, Katzie, Megan, and Rebecca are scolded for their disappointing dishes, with Rebecca taking the long walk home. Honestly, if I woke up and found myself on this show knowing that I couldn't win, this is the challenge I would want to get eliminated on. To reiterate my original point, not knowing how to make hummus into a pastry is no reason to beat yourself up, so Rebecca can make a graceful exit with a minimum of pain and regret. Except that whole broken bone thing.

Overall Grade: B-

3 comments:

Tina said...

So, both my favorites dispensed of in both episodes, I find myself a little unsure who to root for. Chris? Matthew?

And yes, I too wonder what the heck Sally's problem was with Katzie. But Sally's been rubbing me the wrong way for a while now, to the point that I said "Of course she's friends with Marcel", so her? I won't be rooting for.

Tina said...

Er, dispensed of in ONE episode. *wanders off to get some coffee*

Limecrete said...

You know, Sally may be the most interesting contestant of the season. I know Orlando's trying his best to be the Bad Boy of Pastry, but we've seen his schtick many, many times before.

Sally, on the other hand, is kind of stealth awesome. There's that whole thing with Katzie, there's the wild swings between placing in the low group and the high group, with not many middle-of-the-road challenge placements. And there are the priceless reaction shots whenever anything unexpected happens.

I can't say that I like her, exactly, but I can kind of feel myself pulling for her to win.