Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Finale - Part 1

Top Chef - Season 2, Episode 12

Aloha. Well, I was going to say that this was a refreshing change from the usual blah-blah-I-hate-Marcel-blah-blah episode. I was going to say that I was thrilled to see a well-designed challenge, and a passionate debate amongst the judges. I was going to say that this show totally shines when they focus on the thought and emotion that goes into making impressive food. And then the last ten minutes happened.

We waste literally twenty minutes just getting the four finalists off the mainland and ready to cook in Hawaii. They have a traditional Hawaiian meal with a very cool guest judge, and are told that the upcoming challenge is an Elimination Challenge. Dun dun duuuuun! It turns out that they need to make two of the same dishes that they just had, but with their own twist on it. Plus, two chefs will be chopped, which takes all the contestants aback for some strange reason. All four of the finalists come up with neat ideas, and all four really impress the judges, though there are a few minor complaints about each of them. And then the episode ends.

No, not really, but I wish it had. Ilan tries to smear Marcel to the judges yet again, only this time, Elia's in on it as well. They accuse Marcel of sort-of-but-not-really cheating (um...), and having an attitude in the Kitchen. It blows up in their faces, Ptom awesomely shoots them down, and Elia, having now ensured that there is literally nobody left to root for, gets eliminated. Sam gets chunked right behind her, for no other reason than to set up a Good vs. Evil final two of Ilan and Marcel. Except... Who's supposed to be the good one?

Overall Grade: C-

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My husband's only comment about the show was, "Well, Ilan certainly cemented that everyone will root for Marcel." That was my thought exactly.
Sam was his usual shit-stirring self again tonight, too.
Go Marcel!
MarieMG

Anonymous said...

I also was enjoying the show until the last ten minutes... then I was like WHERE THE HELL did this Elia come from? All of a sudden she's been sucked into the "Marcel-hate wagon". It was sad.

Ilan is such a prick. I am so rooting for Marcel to win. I'm glad they showed the restaurant where Ilan works. If I'm ever in NY, I now know to avoid it. :)
Julie-SC

La Loca said...

All I can say is, I know.

Limecrete said...

I can't imagine they'd let Ilan win, after all the shit he's pulled. But then, these are the same producers who let Jeffrey win, so who knows?

La Loca said...

They should just bring back Harold and give him another $100,000. He managed to cook some good food without being a total ass.